COVID-19 Malware Removal Tutorials
When doctors all over the world are busy with treating and saving the life of coronavirus patients, the cyber criminals spread the COVID-19 Pandemic email virus to attack users’ computers. The hackers regard this epidemic period of coronavirus as a perfect opportunity to steal people’s financial information and even cheat victims into sending money to them. You probably will doubt that who will use COVID-19 to proceed illegal online activities and how can this illness develop into Internet threats to infect the computer system? In fact, more and more computer users including Windows users and masOS users have been attacked by a variety of COVID-19 malware after the outbreak of COVID-19 globally since February 2020.
Cyber criminals take advantage of the pandemic by using widespread awareness of the subject to trick the victims because huge numbers of people have to stay home and work remotely which dramatically increases the frequency of home computer use. The malware publishers, of course, will not miss such a golden chance and they absolutely will try everything to exploit the pandemic. That is the origin of COVID-19 online malware.
As I mentioned before, there are different types of COVID-19 online threats spread on the whole world and are mainly in the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, Taiwan, Japan, Panama, Ukraine, Israel, and other Euro countries. COVID-19 malware could be divided into three types:1. COVID-19 phishing email virus; 2.COVID-19 ransomware/blocking virus; (How to Remove COVID-19 ransomware) 3. COVID-19 malicious website threats. Today, we are going to analyze the “COVID-19 phishing email virus” and I will show you how to remove the COVID-19 Pandemic email virus correctly and effectively.
Overview of COVID-19 Email Phishing Virus
Hijackers collect millions of email addresses of the global computer users and continuously send phishing email which contains spam links and malicious attachments to the targeted users. Once the victim opens the email and clicks on the malicious links or attachment, the hidden malware would download onto the computer automatically and install itself without users’ permission. The emails look authentic and may include logos or branding of the specific organizations. They may even impersonate government organizations, ministries of health, centers for public health like WHO (World Health Organization) or CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) or important figures in a relevant country in order to disguise themselves as reliable sources.
Some COVID-19 Email phishing will ask you to accomplish donations in bitcoin to help the legitimate health organizations (World Health Organization) in treating the Coronavirus. You should know that all the contents in the email are totally fake. What the malware authors want is your money. They won’t ask you to transfer the cash directly but suggest you use the bitcoin because no one can track and detect out who is the final recipient. If you just send them the money you are so lucky in some sense since some of the victims choose to download the attachments which will bring more troubles to them. The malicious software could allow cybercriminals to take control of victims’ computers forcibly, logon their keystrokes, or access their personal information and financial data, which could lead to identity theft. All online behavior of the victim would be monitored by cyber activators. It is extremely dangerous for uses who have got the infection when taking financial activities online. Most phishing attempts come by email but MacUtility.com has received some reports that a few attempts to carry out phishing in other ways, for example, text messages(SMS). If you click on the malicious link in the message, you would be redirected to a scammer website where lots of web traps waiting for you.
Furthermore, here are some examples of COVID-19 spam email that may help you get around this type of malware.
Therefore, if you receive any email related to COVID-19, never open it or the attachments and just delete it immediately.
How to Avoid COVID-19 Email Phishing Attack?
- Never open a suspicious email from strange people. Don’t be curious.
- Never supply any personal or financial information and passwords to anyone via email.
- Reject any “call to action” from the suspicious email, unreliable website.
- Double-check when trying to download software from fresh websites. You had better go to the official website for downloading.
- Keep your computer clean. Use an updated anti-virus. Keep all software on internet-connected devices – including PCs, smartphones, and tablets – up to date to reduce the risk of infection from malware.
- Scan executable files with the security program before you run it.
- Never visit gamble or porn websites.
- Reject any requirement of remotely controlling unless they from the authoritative organization.
- Turn off Bluetooth if it is not required for mobile service. Do not accept applications that are unsigned or sent from unknown sources.
How to Remove COVID-19 Malware from Mac and Windows PC?
If you, unfortunately, click the malicious links in the email and download the spam software on your Mac, please follow the guides to remove it step by step
Tutorials for You to Remove COVID-19 related malware from Mac OS X Manually
Note: It is highly recommended you back up the important files on the computer before you follow the instructions in order to avoid any unexpected problems.
The traditional removal method will not completely uninstall from your Mac. Please follow the detailed instruction to remove COVID-19 related malware step by step. We will show you how to clean up the junk files and leftovers of this program.
Step 1. Terminate the process of the malware via Mac Activity Monitor.
* Click on Go in the taskbar and then select “Utilities”.
* Launch Activity Monitor by double-clicking it, change the filter into “All Process”, click on COVID-19 related App, and then click “Quit Process”.
You also can force quit the application by pressing Command+ Option+ Esc keys after you launch the Mac Activity Monitor. Choose “COVID-19 related App” when seeing this screen and click “Force Quit” to close down the process immediately.
Step 2. Please drag the icon of “COVID-19 related App” to the Trash.
Step 3. It is a very important step for you to remove the program entirely. You need to clean up the preference files, support files, caches, and all the useless files which are related to the malicious software.
1)Remove preferences files of “COVID-19 malware”.
* Click on the “Go” menu of the taskbar and then select “Go to Folder”.
* Enter “~Library” in the blank box and then click on “Go” button.
* Here you will see the Preferences folder in Library, and open the folder and then delete all the files associated with “COVID-19 malware”.
2) Clean up Caches of “COVID-19 malware”.
From the Library menu, please find out the Caches folder and locate the files related to this application then trash all of them.
3)Remove support files of “COVID-19 malware”.
Open the “Application Support” folder under “Library”, search for support files of it and then remove them to the Trash.
Step 4. Secure Empty Trash to completely delete all of the files about “COVID-19 malware”.
Now, the main executive file and junk file generated by “COVID-19 malware” have been removed into the Trash. The final step is to clear the Trash so that you can uninstall this program thoroughly from the Mac.
Remove “COVID-19 malware” and Other PUPs Automatically for Mac. ( Recommended )
If you don’t have any security software running on your Mac, you had better download and install one of the best anti-virus applications for Mac from the Internet market. This will absolutely keep your Mac far away from the Internet threats and meanwhile, all of your personal information would be protected when you are online or offline.
MacKeeper is a great and powerful utility designed specially for Mac which contains amazing functions to remove viruses including adware, spyware, Trojan, and malware from Mac OS X. Furthermore, this kind of software also helps users optimize the whole performance of Mac and recover their lost data. With this all-in-one Mac utility, you can remove the malware completely just in a few minutes. Moreover, MacKeeper provides users with live chat support services in order to help them resolve any Mac problems effectively.
How to use MacKeeper to remove COVID-19 malware from Mac OS X
The”Internet Security” function of MacKeeper would help you remove COVID-19 malware and other malware threats from your Mac. Just follow steps as below, you will easily resolve any Mac security problems and protect the whole Apple Mac OS X system.
1. Download MacKeeper from this link: MacKeeper Download Link ( It is safe and free for downloading)
2. Please install MacKeeper on the Mac and launch it.
3. You will see ”Internet Security” on the menu, select “Antivirus”, and click Start Scan to check the entire Mac for viruses—alternatively, click Custom Scan to check a specific folder or USB drive.
4. MacKeeper will scan for viruses, malware, Trojans, spyware, and other major threats.
5. If MacKeeper detects anything malicious, you can click Delete to remove this file or Quarantine to isolate it from infecting your Mac.
6. Next, select Adware Cleaner under Antivirus, and click Start Scan to check your Mac for adware infections.
7. If MacKeeper finds any adware, click Delete in the bottom-right corner of the window to remove it from your Mac.
8. Please restart your Mac to let changes take effect.
Tips to Remove COVID-19 malware from Windows PC
Once the adware has installed and hidden in your Windows computer, you need to remove it first.
Step 1: Uninstall Adware Program from Windows PC Manually
Remove COVID-19 malware from Windows 10 / Windows 8 manually
1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking the Start Task Manager.
2. Terminate the process which occupies too much CUP usage and system resources.
3. Click “Start” —“Settings”—-“Control Panel”
4. Click on the “Uninstall a program” option under the “Programs” category.
5. You will see the currently installed programs listed in the ”Programs and Features” screen. Find the malicious program which has a similar name as COVID-19 then remove it. You also should uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
6. Open the “Registry Editor”. You still need to clean up the fake registry entries to remove the adware completely.
7. Search malicious files and registry entries related to COVID-19 malware and then remove all of them:
Remove COVID-19 malware from Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP manually
1. If your computer operating system is Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP, please click the “Start” button, then click on the “Control Panel” menu option.
2. Click on the “Uninstall a program” option under the “Programs” category.
3. You will see the currently installed programs listed in the ”Programs and Features” screen. Find the malicious program which has a similar name as COVID-19 then remove it. You also should uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
4. Press Windows + R keys together, input regedit into the Run box and click on OK to open Registry Editor.
5. Search malicious files and registry entries related to COVID-19 malware and then remove all of them.
Step 2: Remove Adware and Other Viruses from Windows PC Automatically (Recommended)
SpyHunter is a kind of powerful anti-malware program designed for the Windows system. With SpyHunter, you can easily remove COVID-19 malware from your computer. Moreover, this security software also will help you clean up any other type of Internet threats even the latest malware spread all over the world. Please follow the tips below to remove the infectious files on your computer.
1. Download SpyHunter and install it on your computer. SpyHunter Download Link ( It is safe and free for downloading ). Please close down any open documents and running programs before you go to install it. Otherwise, it would forcibly terminate those programs.
2. Launch it directly and click the “Scan Computer Now” button to have a full scan for your computer.
3. Please click “Next” button after finish the scanning for your computer.
4. Please click the “Delete” button to remove the threats found on your computer.
5. “PUPs” displays potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that were blocked and/or removed by SpyHunter 5’s System Guard. You also can select this option to clean up the potentially risky software on your computer.
6. Please restart your computer and let the changes take effect after you remove the malware with the program.
Now, the COVID-19 malware should be removed completely and successfully from your computer. We highly suggest you keep the SpyHunter running the backstage to protect your computer from any potential malware threats.