“How do I remove Bitdefender from Mac?” I found many people have such a common problem and ask for help online, including the messages many people sending to us. So, I thin it is time to talk something here, and hope it is helpfu for you guys to uninstall Bitdefender on the Mac.
About Bitdefender Antivirus
Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac is a cybersecurity technology provider founded in 2001, Romania. It has been one of the popular security program that claims to provides the strong protection for the Mac users, and protect their computers from malicoius viruses and other Internet threats.
This application gets two versions available for the user: the free trial version and premium one. There are usually more files and libraries will be added to the computer after getting o use the registered version on the machine.
Many Mac users now might be using this app on their Macs, but when some guys need to remove it for some reasons, the problem just come out.
What’s your problem to remove Bitdefender
What should we do when uninstall the program? Where should we start to perform the removal? Does it work for using the drag and drop on the Mac? Many people might have some questions like these and wonder how we should do for this app removal. In addition, when they try to uninstall Bitdefender, these problems always appear and difficult to be fixed by the user:
- The Mac does not allow you to uninstall it and says it is still running, but you also cannot choose to ‘Quit’ or ‘ForceQuit’ it via the Activity Monitor
- The Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac always abounds back when you try to drag it to the Trash
- Macintosh always notes that you don’t have permission to uninstall it
- The app’s name is not available on some uninstallers’ apps list
How to uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac in a right way
1.Remove Bitdefender Antivirus with its built-in uninstaller
The previous installation of this application also bring an uninstall process on its associated install folder. This native uninstaller can help you to perform a standard uninstallation of the app. However, there are some files and libraries cannot be deleted during the removal, and you should take manual steps to clear them from the Mac
- Turn off Bitdefender Antivirus before start to remove it, and make sure its processes have been stopped running on the computer
- Click on empty space on the desktop, and click Go on the menu bar
- Select Applications on the drop-down menu, and click to open Bitdefender folder inside
- Find and double-click on BitdefenderUninstaller to launch
- When a new window appears, click Uninstall
- Enter your administrator password to confirm the process and start the app uninstallation
- And then the removing process will start automatically and finish in a short time
- Click Close when complete, and you might be asked to complete a survey, you can choose to close the page if you don’t want to finish it.
After taking the native uninstaller to finish the standard removal on the Mac, there are still some files leaving on the associated folders and need you to remove them manually. Some people usually don’t realize the leftovers and always get an incomplete removal.
- Click on Go, and Go to folder
- Type “/Library/” in the box, and hit Enter
- Access to the Extensions folder, and delete the Kernel extensions of Bitdefender if you can find: FileProtect.kext, SelfProtect.kext, TMProtection.kext
- Back to Go to folder, and enter “~/Library/”
- After that, you will see a lot of sub-folders storing in the Library folder, and the next thing you should do is to open the following folders, and delete those files belonging to Bitdefender one by one:
Last but not least, right-click on the Trash on the Dock, and select Empty Trash to remove the program permanently.
2.Uninstall Bitdefender Antivirus with a smart uninstaller
If you want to finish the app removal as quickly as possible, you can try to apply a reputable uninstaller to help you perform the uninstallation, which is much more easier than remove Bitdefender with its uninstaller and delete its remnant files manually. And the smart uninstaller of MacKeeper can be a good choice for you.
- Click on Launchpad icon, and click to open MacKeeper on the Mac
- Expand the menu of ADVANCED TOOLS, click Smart Uninstaller
- Click on Scan at the bottom to let the MacKeeper to check all the installed applications on your Mac
- Select the checkbox beside Bitdefender, and all of related files and folders will be displayed on the right side
- Click on Remove button to completely uninstall Bitdefender