If you are redirected to search.safefinder.com or search.macsafefinder.com when launching web browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox on your macOS computer, you should realize that your Mac must be infected by the SafeFinder redirect virus. We seriously recommend you remove SafeFinder Mac virus as soon as possible. Meanwhile, you had better clean up all add-on and plugins installed on your browsers without any hesitation if you want to surf the Internet safely. Removing SafeFinder virus can help you reduce the rate of being infected by other type of viruses including adware, spyware, Trojan, and malware. From this removal guides in 2020, you will learn the practical methods about how to remove Safe Finder viruscompletely. The Security Lab of MacUtility has integrated several efficient removal tutorials and now is going to share with victims who is annoyed by this virus all over the world.
SafeFinder virus can be classified as browser hijacker which is programmed by cybercriminals to display junk pages and malicious links to the victims. Their final purpose is to guide the Mac users click those fake search results and links so that they can steal victims’ important information. Furthermore, SafeFinder virus has also been involved in adware-type viruses because of sponsored content displayed to its victims. In some cases, the Mac users detect out this redirect virus after the installation of Advance Mac Cleaner( How to uninstall Advanced Mac Cleaner ). However, there is no enough evidence proving that Advance Mac Cleaner is a kind of malware and inject the SafeFinder browser hijacker to target macOS computer. We can consider Advance Mac Cleaner as a potentially unwanted application and you should also think about uninstall it from your Mac computer.
Once the SafeFinder application has been installed secretly on the Mac computer, it would replace the default search engine by its malicious engine as search.safefinder.com. All default Internet settings including homepage, new tabs, search engine and more can be altered with some malicious homepage and pop-ups established by attackers. Here are the general symptoms Mac users would probably encounter when their macOS were infected by the SafeFinder virus:
- You’ll find that there is an unknown website: search.safefinder.com and your homepage has been replaced by it when opening web browsers.
- If you try to launch a default search engine then enter the keywords to search for what you need, you’ll notice that the search results come from the unauthorized SafeFinder engine and the default search provider has been modified to another.
- When you open a new tab or click on a new link, there is no target page appeared but search.safefinder.com. or a blocking pop-up.
- You’ll see that some strange pages have been added onto the bookmark menu without any permission.
- Go and check the toolbar panel, you can discover that your browser has been installed other extensions or plug-ins related to SafeFinder application.
How to Remove SafeFinder Virus from Mac?
Manual Methods to Remove SafeFinder Mac virus
Tips: We highly recommend you accomplish a full backup mission for the important files stored on your macOS. It can help you back to the previous status if you make some mistakes or encounter unexpected problems when removin SafeFinder Mac virus. There is a Mac built-in backup tool called Time Machine of Mac OS X system which will help you save copies of all your files, applications, and system files automatically. If you run out of disk space, Time Machine will also erase the oldest version of the files to release more space for the new ones.
To backup your files on Mac, please follow this brief instruction:
Step 1. Attach an external hard drive to your Mac. You would be asked whether you want to use the disk to backup.
Step 2. Once your external drive is plugged in, go to System Preferences > Time Machine and toggle the switch from “Off” to “On.”
Step 3. Follow instructions in Time Machine preferences to accomplish the backup work.
OK, now we will move on to remove SafeFinder virus and its components manually.
Step 1. Remove Malicious Profiles from Your Mac
Profiles are generally used by companies or education entities that supervise their Macs. A configuration profile is designed to associate and store all settings of the specific application. It will transform your requests to the application and run it as your demands. However, be aware that removing a profile will remove all settings associated with it. If the profile was used to configure your email or wireless connection, removing it will remove those settings, and you will no longer have access to those services. To remove the malicious files in macOS, please follow these steps:
1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences…
2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.
Note: Profiles won’t be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
3. If there’s a Profile icon, click on it and select any suspicious profile that you want to remove, and then press the – (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.
Step 2. Remove Malicious Program / Potentially Unwanted Application from Mac
If your macOS has been infected by SafeFinder browser hijacker, please follow the instruction to remove malicious programs. We will try to help you identify and remove any malicious apps and files that might be installed on your Mac computer.
1. You should quite the malicious program firstly.
On the Apple menu bar, in the top-right corner, click on any unknown or suspicious icon and then select Quit.
2. Please Launch the “Finder” function.
Click the Finder application on your dock.
3. In the Finder left pane, you will see the “Application” option, please click on it.
4. A list of all the applications installed on your macOS would be displayed. Please scroll through the list until you find the malicious app, right-click it, and then click “Move to Trash”.
5. Click “Empty Trash” after right-click on the trash icon to completely remove the malicious app.
6. Find out the hidden malicious files associated with SafeFinder app then remove them all.
* Click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, choose “Go” then click on “Go to Folder”.
* Type or copy/paste each of the below paths into the window that opens, then click Go./Library/LaunchAgents
Step 3. Remove SafeFinder Malicious Extensions from Browsers
Remove SafeFinder virus from Safari
1. Please launch the Safari web browser. Click the “Safari” menu and select “Preferences”.
2. Click the “General” tab to identify if your default home page has been changed by the SafeFinder browser hijacker or not. So in the Homepage field make sure it’s a web page you want to use as your start-up page.
3. Now please click on the “Extensions” tab.
4. A list of all the extensions installed on your macOS would be displayed. Please scroll through the list until you find the suspicious and malicious extension, then click “Uninstall” button to remove it from the Mac computer.
Note: If you fail to remove the malicious redirects with the above instruction, please follow the simple steps to delete Safari’s preferences. Because some malicious programs will install managed preferences to set the homepage and search engine settings in Safari.
a. Quit Safari.
b.Choose “Go” then click on “Go to Folder“ under the Finder tab.
c.Type or copy/paste the following path into the window that opens, then click Go: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
d.Delete the file after you find it and then restart Safari.
Now, the SafeFinder virus should be removed completely from Safari.
Remove SafeFinder virus from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar. Select Settings.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Advanced” link.
3. Chrome’s advanced settings should now be displayed. Scroll down until the “Reset and clean up” section is visible. Please click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” button.
4. You will be shown a confirmation dialog. To complete the restoration process, please click on the “Reset Settings” button to finish the operation.
5. To remove the malicious plugins from Google Chrome, you need to back to the menu icon of Chrome and select Tools → Extensions.
6. Find out any extensions and suspicious plugins related to SafeFinder then click the Trash icon to delete those malicious files from Google Chrome.
Now, the SafeFinder virus should be removed successfully from Google Chrome.
Remove SafeFinder virus from Mozilla Firefox
1. Click on Firefox’s main menu button, select the option labeled “Help“.
2. Locate to the “Troubleshooting Information” under the “Help” menu.
3. Click on “Refresh Firefox” on this page. Do not forget to confirm this operation in the following dialog to make it affect.
4. To remove the malicious plugins from Mozilla Firefox, you need to back to the menu icon of Firefox and select Adds → Extensions.
5. Find out any extensions and suspicious plugins related to SafeFinder then click “Remove” to delete those malicious files from Firefox.
Now, the SafeFinder virus should be removed totally from Mozilla Firefox.
Auto Method to Remove SafeFinder Mac virus with Mac Antivirus
Be tired of the complicated instructions above? They are absolutely time-consuming guides to remove malware for Mac computers. Why not remove SafeFinder virus and protect your macOS with a smart method?
Combo Cleaner for Mac is an award-winning Mac antivirus soft which is developed to detect and terminate almost all type of virus and Internet threats for Mac. You can run a free scanning for your Mac computer to detect deeply if there is any virus or risk hidden on your macOS. Of course, it is highly recommended you keep Combo Cleaner on the Mac to protect the security of the whole system.
To remove SafeFinder virus from Mac automatically, please follow the steps as below:
Step 1. Download Combo Cleaner Antivirus for FREE.
You can download Combo Cleaner Antivirus for Mac by clicking the link below.
Step 2. Select the “Antivirus” option. Click the “Start Scan” button to analyze your Mac immediately.
(Combo Cleaner Antivirus will scan your computer for browser hijacker and other malicious programs. This process can take a few minutes, so we suggest you do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.)
Step 3. Click “Remove All Threats” after the reports displayed.
Step 4. Combo Cleaner Antivirus will now remove all the malicious files that it has found. To complete the malware removal process, you should restart your Mac.