Problems of removing Dropbox may annoyed many people on their Macs, and finding a good and effective way to delete it has been a conundrum among many of its users. So here, we just take some time to learn more about this application as well as the available way to uninstall Dropbox from Mac.
Get to know more about Dropbox
Do you know what is Dropbox? It is a popular file hosting service by American company Dropbox, Inc., this application will create a special folder on the user’s computer, everything putting in this folder will automatically sync online, so it is a good choice for many people to get such services as cloud storage, files backup, and file synchronization.
What kind of problem you encounter on your Mac?
The Dropbox app removal on macOS seems like not so easy for many people, different kinds of problems would occur during the removal and make people unable to complete the uninstall smoothly and successfully. In most cases, these are the most of common issues that people may encounter when removing Dropbox from Mac:
- Error message pops up when performing the app removal
- Dropbox can’t be started or uninstalled, and always prompted that the application is corrupted or cannot be uninstalled
- App itself or its related files still can be found on the computer after conducting the app removal
- Dropbox cannot be dropped to the Trash and user was told that “some of its plug-ins are still in use”, but it has been quit
Wanna keep far away from these troubles and uninstall Dropbox from the Mac? You will feel lucky enough to find these removing instructions below, which can help you to delete the app effective with success.
Uninstall Dropbox effectively with the following guides
Traditional way and how-to guides to remove Dropbox
macOS’ attached removing feature enable the user to delete unwanted files and remove applications installed on the computer. This is a conventional way that requires people to conduct the app removal step by step, so please be patient and prepare the enough time and energy to perform this manual way to totally get rid of Dropbox from the Mac.
1. Stop the running of Dropbox on your Mac
- Right-click on the program on Dock, click on Quit to disable the program
- If it is probably running at the background, please click on Go >>> Utilities >>> double click to open Activity Monitor
- Locate the Dropbox process on the list, click on Quick Process icon on the head menu
2. Remove Dropbox process
- Click on Go, and choose Applications
- Locate Dropbox on the list, and click on the remove button on the top menu, or directly drag it to the Trash to uninstall Dropbox
3. Clean all of its files which still remain on your Mac
- Click on Go, select to open Library folder
- Click on Go to folder…, and type specific location of it in the box, the common location is: ～/Library/, if you can find it on the list, please just click to open it directly
- Open Preferences folder, and clean Dropbox associated files inside
Application support files
- Go to Application Support folder on the Library, delete Dropbox’s files, generally with the program’s name
- Similarly, go to Caches folder on the Library, have a check and delete Dropbox’s files inside
Simply dragging the program to the Trash does not help you to clean its preferences and other traces on the Library folder, so you need to check these places additionally after removing the app on the Trash, and delete those associations as well.
Uninstall Dropbox more quickly and easily with a good remover
Professional Mac app removal tool can do a good and thorough removal, which usually cannot be completed by the Mac’s removing feature, the advanced removing technology and configurations inside are usually the big support for the excellent application removal. And MacKeeper, which has been famous for its comprehensive protection and optimization for the Mac computer, also provide a good uninstaller to help the user get rid of the app they want from the macOS.
Here are more details about Dropbox removal in MacKeeper
- Open MacKeeper on your Mac, click on ADVANCED TOOLS if you cannot find the uninstall utility on the left pane
- Click on Smart Uninstaller on the list, and you will see all the application installed on your Mac, if the programs do not reveal completely, please click on Scan button to refresh the list.
- Select Dropbox on the box, make sure you select all of associated components it present to you
- Click on the Remove button at the bottom to uninstall Dropbox, and click Remove all to completely remove it
- Done! The program has been removed completely on your Mac