Today I would like to share you with the most effective method about how to completely uninstall uTorrent on your Mac in just minutes or maybe within only seconds. This is the latest instruction of 2017 I promise which is better than any tips you have ever found because they are outdated. As you know that the uTorrent is quite hard to be removed entirely from the Mac OS X unless you clean up the associated files ( actually is the junk files and invalid elements ). If you leave the leftovers on the Mac, you probably would receive some of the Mac error codes or warning messages when trying to run other kinds of applications. Even the uTorrent development team still can not satisfactorily explain the conflicts between the leftovers and other third party software. You Mac would be fine that if you delete those rubbish from the machine eventually. It doesn’t matter that if you lack of skills of operating the Mac OS X system and just follow the instruction step by step. You absolutely will have uTorrent removed in just minutes. You must have searched for the uTorrent removal guides on Google previously but still got futile attempt to successfully uninstall uTorrent from the Mac.
What Is uTorrent
As one of the most famous BitTorrent clients, uTorrent owns lots of great features such as highly detailed stats, support for RSS feeds, automatic shutdown, download scheduler and more. Furthermore, with uTorrent, users are able to play media in streaming when they download, rate and comment torrent files, drag and drop files to share them, and disable the UDP tracker. uTorrent is free to download and use and its developers have released different versions for Windows XP, Android and Mac. The size of uTorrent is even smaller than AceReader Pro which I have introduced previously, if you are also interesting in it, please click here to visit that post directly: How to Remove AceReader Pro from Mac OS X – For Beginners
Tutorials to Uninstall uTorrent
Before start the removal steps, you had better backup your important files and OS X system firstly in order to avoid any miss deleting or unexpected problems. There is a built-in backup tool called Time Machine of Mac OS X system which will help you save copies of all your files, applications, and system files automatically. If you run out of disk space, Time Machine will also erase the oldest version of the files to release more space for the new ones.
Brief tips to backup your files on Mac.
Step 1. Attach an external hard drive to your Mac. You would be asked that whether you want to use the disk to backup
Step2. Once your external drive is plugged in, go to System Preferences > Time Machine and toggle the switch from “Off” to “On.”
Step 3. Follow instructions in Time Machine preferences to accomplish the backup work.
You can restore the entire system and get your information back if there is anything ever happen such as computer crash, virus, accidentally deleted file, or another common tech catastrophe on your Mac.
Now, let’s get continue to uninstall uTorrent with the traditional methods.
Step 1: Terminate process of uTorrent via Activity Monitor.
You need to close down uTorrent and terminate all processes of it in order to make the uninstall procedure run smoothly.
* Please click “Go” menu on the top of your screen and then select “Utilities” option in the list.
* You will see “Activity Monitor” icon after you enter the “Utilities”; Launch “Activity Monitor” by double clicking the icon.
* Now there must be several processes running in the system background. Please find out the active process of uTorrent and then end up those processes by clicking the “X” button to close this application.
Confirm to quit the process
Or you also can try another easier method to launch “Activity Monitor”. Press “Command+Option+Esc” on your keyboard then you will see the interface of “Activity Monitor” ; select the process and then choose “Force Quit” to terminate it.
Confirm your operation in the following pop-up window by clicking on“Force Quit” button.
Step 2: Remove uTorrent icon to the Trash.
As mentioned before, Mac OS X Trash function could help you remove the main executable file of uTorrent. It is an effective way to uninstall uTorrent from the Mac but you still need to finish more things.
* Please click on “Go” menu and select “Applications” from the list.
* Find out the icon of uTorrent, right click on the icon and then select “Move to Trash” ; Or just drag it to the ” Trash” .
* Empty the Trash to remove the main files of uTorrent from the Mac. You will receive dialog window asking you if you are sure to remove the items. Please click“Empty Trash”to delete the executable files of this application.
Step 3: Locate and Clean up Leftovers to Uninstall uTorrent completely
You are almost there to finish the whole removal procedure on Mac. You should know that applications like uTorrent will generate lots of associated files, junk files and other types of traces when installed on the Mac. For instance, the application support files, caches, plugins, binaries, library, preferences, Dock icon, saved states, etc, all of them could be called additional files. Generally, the leftovers are located in these three folders ( /Library/Preferences/, /Library/Application Support/ /Library/Caches/ ) then you need to find them out and clean up the associated files of the application you just removed previously.
* Please click on“Go”menu at the top of the screen and select “Go to Folder”.
* Type “~Library” in the blank to get into the library interface.
* Please open “Preferences“ folder and then search the related files of uTorrent.
* Remove all of the junk files you find out in this folder to the Trash directly.
* Turn back to “Library” tab, get into “Caches” folder and search all caches of uTorrent.
* Clean up the caches of uTorrent.
* Turn back to “Library” tab, get into “Application Support” folder and search all supported files of uTorrent.
* Delete the supported files associated with the application.
Step 4: Empty the Trash to Remove All Leftovers Completely and Permanently
* Right click the Trash icon and select “Secure Empty Trash” to totally erase the useless files right away.
* Confirm the operation when receiving pops-up Windows as below.
* Finally, please restart your Mac OS X system for the changes to take effects.